Summer is in full swing and that means more time spent outside in the yard. However, if you're like many people in South Bend, you may have an issue with wasps. Stinging insects in South Bend can be dangerous if they are disturbed, and they can also ruin a good outdoor gathering. Termishield Termite & Pest Protection will go over all you need to know about wasps so that you can prevent them from ruining your summer. We'll also discuss how pest control in South Bend can help you keep them away for good.
The Role Wasps Play In Our Ecosystem
Most people think of wasps as nothing more than pests, but they actually play an important role in our ecosystem. Wasps are predators of many different types of insects, including flies, caterpillars, and aphids. Without wasps, these insects would be able to wreak havoc on crops and gardens. In South Bend, wasps are especially beneficial in controlling the cicada population. Cicadas are a type of insect that feeds on the sap of trees. If left unchecked, they can cause serious damage to trees.
Some Wasps Can Be Dangerously Aggressive
While wasps do play an important role in our ecosystem, some species can be dangerous to humans. Here are a few different types of wasps in South Bend that are known to be aggressive:
- Yellow jackets: Yellow jackets are attracted to protein-rich foods, such as meats and fish. They can sting multiple times, and their stings are very painful.
- Baldfaced hornets: Baldfaced hornets build their nests in trees and shrubs. They are very aggressive and will sting if they feel threatened.
- Paper wasps: Paper wasps are a type of wasp that builds its nest out of paper. They are not as aggressive as other types of wasps but they will still sting if they feel threatened.
- European hornet: The European hornet is the largest type of wasp in South Bend. They are attracted to sweet foods and often enter homes in search of sugar.
All types of wasps in South Bend can become a problem when they sting. If you are stung by any of these wasps, you may have pain, swelling, and itching. If you are allergic to wasp stings, you may experience a more serious reaction, such as difficulty breathing or swelling of the throat. If you experience any of these symptoms, you should seek medical attention immediately.
Five Naturally Effective Wasp Prevention Tips
Now that you know which wasps are dangerous and how they can affect your health, it's time to learn how to prevent them. Here are five tips on natural wasp control in South Bend:
- Keep food covered: Wasps are attracted to sweet and protein-rich foods. To prevent them from coming into your yard, make sure all food is covered.
- Eliminate standing water: Wasps like to drink from standing water. To prevent them from setting up shop in your yard, eliminate all sources of standing water.
- Plant wasp-repellent plants: There are a number of plants that repel wasps, such as mint, eucalyptus, and citronella. Planting these plants around your yard will help keep wasps away.
- Keep garbage cans covered: Wasps are attracted to the smell of garbage. To prevent them from getting into your garbage, make sure all cans are covered with a tight-fitting lid.
- Call a professional: If you're having trouble keeping wasps away, the best way to get rid of wasps in South Bend is to contact a pest control professional.
Dealing with wasps on your own can be dangerous. If you find a wasp nest in your yard, the best thing to do is leave it alone and call a professional pest control service.
The Secret To Total Wasp Control For Your Yard
If you spot a wasp nest in your yard or notice other signs of a possible infestation, it's time to call in the professionals. At Termishield Termite & Pest Protection, we have the wasp removal experience and expertise to get rid of these pests on your South Bend property for good. We've designed our own groundbreaking new methods of service that surpass the national norm in terms of efficiency. We also offer preventive services to keep the wasps from coming back. Contact us today to schedule a free inspection and get started on our effective home pest control and commercial pest control services.